Tuesday, October 25, 2011

First Observation

This was my first real observation of the MicroAquarium.  I started by looking at the tank without magnification, to see if there were any organisms already visible.  I observed large, fast-moving organisms, which I then looked at under the microscope.  The organisms that were visible without magnification I later learned were Seed shrimp.  Seed shrimp, or ostracods, are members of the animal kingdom and exist primarily as plankton on the sea floor.  Seed shrimp reproduce sexually, and have a range of diets including herbivorous, carnivorous, scavenger, and filter-feeder.  Also, in the tank, I noticed a number of single-celled organisms.  These were slow-moving, and stayed mainly near the food pellet.  There were also some stationary organisms called vorticellae, which stayed clustered together, and had flagellae.

No comments:

Post a Comment